Friday, July 9, 2010

:-(

This was a good week, and an interesting one. I don't have my camera here at my mom's house, so I can't post the cutest picture, but I decided to take a break from the curtains to make something Alisabeth would love.
While she took her nap I sewed together a fun and quick pattern for a new nightgown. I figured she would enjoy it because she's REALLY into dresses right now. I wasn't disappointed. She loved it. Of course, she overfilled her diaper the first night she wore it, and then I didn't get it clean until yesterday, so tonight is her second night in it, and she's loving it.
I used scraps to make it, so I am excited to do it again with materials that will actually work well together. It's supposed to have a frilly bottom fringe to it, however I used a stretchy material for the main part and a patterned cotton for the bottom, so it didn't end up frilling out, it ended up restraining. It still looks cute though.

So on to the reason it took so long to get her nightgown laundered. My washing machine wasn't able to pull enough power to complete the last spin cycle, so all of the clothes have been taking about ten times as long as they should to dry. Why was it not getting enough power you ask? Well, let me explain: I have no idea.
My mom came over and took a look at it (keep in mind that the landlord told us that he would appreciate any improvements we are willing to make and would deduct time and money spent from our rent. . . )
Apparently, (once she'd told me I could see it too) whoever wired the house was on crack. There were 3 small fuses coming into the house. The gauge wire they used is the kind that should be used for heavy machinery in a large production warehouse, and they hadn't used any ground. So for those of you who don't speak electronics this means that our incoming power is being severly limited (not to mention some of it being wasted).
So basically we started to put together a game plan to change out everything. We eventually traced back the power and found out that not only was the wire coming in huge, but the original wire to the house was even larger. Basically the house must have taken it's power from the same source as the tile factory that is further back on the property. Now that the tile factory isn't being used we are the sole users. So we opened up all of the boxes connected to the house ( a total of 3 where we should have 1) and saw that not only was the wire huge, but where they had brought it down to smaller guage wire they had done it both sloppily and wrongly. We weren't getting even half of the power we should have had. . .
Anyway, so the game plan was set (encouraged by the fact that the shower had a nice current for those using it any time they reach out to adjust the hot/cold. . . )
Then yesterday night I happened to go outside for something after dark, I glance toward the fuse box and see a nice red sparkly-like light coming from our power source. So needless to say I turned off as much of the power as I could and Jason went out and electrical taped everything he could touch (while wearing electricians gloves).
Then I called my mom to ask if we could move up the time-line.
She called back this morning, took off work, we shunted Alisabeth over to her cousin's house (I just need to throw out a big THANK YOU STACI to my amazingly wonderful sister-in-law) and started working on it.
We ended up not finishing, thus we are spending the night at my mom's house. We got everything wired into the new box, and turned it on with no problems, but as soon as we tried to turn on the smaller breakers everything popped. A re-wire and another flip of the switch and POP SIZZLE. This time there were no breakers on, so we haven't figured out what the problem is. We decided that 9.5 hours of working on it was quite enough. We'll try again tomorrow.
Luckily we were already planning a barbeque for our "look-we-don't-live-in-carboard-boxes-anymore" party. It would have been sad if we had had to cancel. I just hope we can get it figured out tomorrow. I was really looking forward to living in our new place :)

That was the excitement. We also got a call from the AzCA foster care program and are scheduled to start our classes on Monday. 1 day, 3 hrs, 10 weeks. I am excited. I have a feeling I will be receiving a lot of information and end up with my eyes wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment