Wednesday, May 5, 2010

10 things I've learned from Snow White

So my daughter's favorite and only movie is Snow White right now. We watch at least part of it daily. Here's what I've learned by watching it over 50 times:
1) Animals can sense evil, even in disguise . . . but they're also willing to break into people's homes, so can they really be trusted?
2) Raccoons are really good at washing clothes, but squirrels and turtles aren't.
3) Even at a young age a woman will boss around any men she can find.
4) Animals will allow, and even encourage you to ride them as long as there is a young maiden in trouble.
5) Talking mirrors will say whatever it takes to cause contention.
6) It doesn't matter how long your wish is: if it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
7) It's okay for animals to walk all over your food as long as they're making it look prettier.
8) Hard labor will always bring excessive wealth, and a lot of jewelery.
9) If you're the most beautiful one in the land you can break whatever laws you like and no one will mind.
10) When going up against mythical creatures, never go where they excel. The queen would have never died if she had stayed away from rocks. They're DWARFS for heaven's sake!

These last two weeks have been a bit rough for me. We battled hard to find a good job and ended up with one that didn't pay near what I was hoping for. So I scaled back our home search and focused on cheap foreclosures. We finally found one this last week that was 33K. That right, 33K for the whole home. I set up an appointment to go look at it, and I also started contacting a few more loan officers to prepare and ask questions (the one we had been working with was giving a lot of restrictions that I didn't understand and I wanted a different opinion). While asking questions the loan officer happened to ask how Jason was being paid and upon being told that he was paid flat-rate (similar to commissions) she let us know that their company would need 2 years worth of income at flat-rate so that they could average it out and see an average amount of monthly income to verify the loan. I called the other loan officer back and asked if the process would be the same for him. After looking it up he said they might be able to do it on as little as six months, but yes, they also needed to average income.
So in frustration our home search ended. Now, instead of a $350/month payment for mortgage, fees and taxes, we're looking at a rental fee of about $575/month. Needless to say I was quite depressed.
I still am really bothered by it, but we're going to give ourselves another few months and then see where we're at. Jason is also looking for a second job or a better job because the company he's working for has failed to keep him busy for 6 out of the last 7 days, so even if he works as hard as he can he won't be getting enough work to get what we need to pay rent. All in all this graduation thing isn't working as well as I expected it to.

On the other hand Alisabeth is doing great. For some reason she's still really clingy and we spend part of every night convincing her that shadows aren't moving unless you move the light that is causing them. She is learning a lot more phrases and we've stepped it up on the counting side. We still haven't quite figured out letter sounds, but I want to get some flash cards to put up and hopefully that will help. We also went out ans splurged on some clearance dresses at Sears. (All of Alisabeth's are getting too small).
Here they are:


I'm going to put up a few more fun pictures from this week in a seperate post because I hate trying to get the pictures in order on this thing. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think I forgot to mention that all of these dresses are size 6. They are a little big for her, but not extremely huge. . . that's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say she looks like she's 6-7 in those baseball caps.

    ReplyDelete