Thursday, January 30, 2014

More than Half Way!

As my baby kicks me from inside I thought it might be a good idea to update this on my lunch hour (instead of studying my accounting book). :)
The Flannery Clan had a good week. Alisabeth is doing well, so far as I can tell, in her schoolwork. She comes home with a spelling list each week and we went through them all without issues. She's also had some homework that she and Jason have done. We did have our first casualty though, apparently she checked out a book and can't remember what she did with it so she has to pay for it before they'll let her check out another one. :( She was very upset or 'scared' as she says. She's 'scared' about everything that she's unsure about.
Kryton is doing well. His "STOP" is very clear. :) He loves to be tickled, so he comes and we have tickle fights at least once a night. The problem is that he bites whenever he gets riled up. He's better most of the time and gives raspberries now instead of biting, but he still takes a good chunk out of the flesh whenever he gets too excited to control himself. He continues his love of reading and is doing a little better in the mornings. (The kids wakes up between 4 and 5. . . needless to say there's no one to respond to him at that time, so after screaming for about ten minutes he goes back to sleep until it's the real time to get up. We've reduced his naps down to 1 and sometimes he doesn't even get that one, but he still gets up that early no matter what :( This morning at 5:30 I handed him a bowl of cereal, a bottle of milk and turned on Baby Einstein in the downstairs living room. Terrible, I know, but that's the way we roll sometimes.)
Tiny creature, as mentioned in the opening line, is growing on schedule so far. Kicking up a storm inside my belly and overall enjoying life. I lent out my maternity clothes to a friend a while back and still haven't retrieved them, so he's been getting a little squished as my belly begins to expand beyond the normal size of my pants, but she puts up with it well. We find out the sex in 2 more weeks (on V-day), so that will be exciting.
Jason has continued to apply to new jobs. His Houston interviewers never called back so eventually he called them to see if they had made a decision, but apparently they went on a hiring freeze. :( His interview with Galusha's IT went well, we guess, but they're not in a hurry to make a decision, so in a few more weeks they'll weed the list of applicants down and decide who to call for a second round of interviews. . . I haven't heard anything on my end.
He also found plans online to make a cat tree (since our little vermin snatchers are staring to scratch everything) and built that this last week. It's rough because we only had remnants of carpet to use on it, but we'll look into prices and probably replace that sometime to make it look a bit nicer. He's considering building one more with a few modifications to see if he can sell them. They don't cost nearly as much as CostCo/Petsmart would have you believe :) And ours is heavy, which is important to me since my bruiser cats always seemed to knock it over if it isn't. He did a great job and got a new tool out of the deal, so he was happy.
As for me, we're starting to ramp up into the busy season and that is a mixed blessing :) I've been getting through my work, although there's a lot to keep track of. Gotta start making my lists again. It feels good to crank out the work though rather than just sit on my hands and try not to waste time. I did my taxes too, and was disappointed to note that we owed for the first time. It was at the state level, and I didn't take into account the fact that Jason's earnings were in UT rather than ID, so that's a bit of a shame, but I learned my lesson. :)
I don't think I ever mentioned it, but our office moved into a new building. They built it specifically for us, and this last week we had a community open house to celebrate. Jeeze there were a lot of people here. I had to make appearances, couldn't handle just staying out there the whole time, so I disappeared into my office and wrote my paper for my class intermittently throughout the night. It was awesome though, several of our clients from Blackfoot (about 45 minutes away) came to see us. In addition the CEO came over from Helena to be there for the ribbon cutting. We had awesome catering by another of our clients, and got to gloat about how awesome our new offices are. I saw about 1/3 of the clients I work on for audits, and a lot of others I have met within the business community.
In addition I decided to make the leap. My goal was to publish a book before my birthday. My mom agreed to help me edit my book and get it ready. We passed that sucker back and forth dozens of times. She made edits, I made changes, then she edited again and changed it back to the way I'd had it :) (okay that didn't happen often, but when it did it made me laugh). The end result was much closer to a romance (it started as action), but I liked it. Then a bit ago I made the leap and published it through Amazon's self publishing methods. They'll let anyone put anything up there, so it's not as though this is 'breaking into the industry' but for me it was just a goal and something I've always wanted to do. Staring at my kindle-edition book is very cool. Now I just need to convince her to retire so she can be my full-time editor :) There's two more in the published book's series, and I have an entire series (just finished writing book 5) of sci-fi that I really like. . . ah, dreams.

Life is good. I've forced myself into a schedule requiring me to be in bed earlier, and I'm liking the results. I feel less exhausted (for obvious reasons), and even though I'm not getting everything on my goal/schedule list done every night I feel like I'm regaining a little stability and control over myself. Could also be that the sickness is gone and I have a little of my energy back, whatever the reason, I'll take it. :)
Jason joined me in my goal, so we've both been going to bed earlier and it's so much easier to deal with a 4am Kryton than when I've only had 3 hours of sleep. Now when it takes me an hour to get to sleep it's not that big a deal.

That's us. Healthy again (everyone had something within the last two weeks), happy again, and moving forward with faith.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I can't imagine how you find time to write books! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete