Sunday, February 15, 2009

The week between paychecks

One reason I love Galusha is the great spirit in the office. Everyone is upbeat and happy 90% of the time. Even when they're not it is fairly short lived.
They are also incredibly generous. I'm not surprised that there are amazing bonuses and gifts for employees, after all, you want to keep them, but for interns I didn't really think about it.
For Valentines Day everyone in the office received a small bag of goodies. The chocolate didn't make it home, the suckers did though because I knew Alisa would love them. The other gift in the bag I immediately called Jason about. We needed a babysitter.
So it is that even though we're completely broke we still managed to spend $75 on Valentine's Day on a movie and dinner. :) The gift certificates to the local theater and to Texas Roadhouse were really nice, but the thing that impresses me most is how the gifts were given. There was no show and definitely no air of expectation. Last year when I received the same gift I was so shocked I wondered if there had been some mistake. Who would spend that much on a temporary employee?
It was a wonderful Valentine's Day thanks to them.

On the opposite side of human nature is Jason's week. He had two class assignments back to back which required them to work in pairs to complete different letters. Both of his teammates agreed to work separately and then email the results to each other to figure out any corrections or changes before the final draft. Both times Jason was sure to email by the agreed time and on the first one the guy wrote back saying "That looks good, we'll just use yours." And then didn't even print out his own copy which was a requirement for them both to pass. Luckily for Jason he had printed out two copies so there was no problem. The second guy just never emailed back. So both times Jason ended up doing all the work and the other guy got the credit. I told him he needs to go talk to the teacher privately. Sometimes I wonder how people survive. Other times I wonder why they continue to use group projects since it always seems like one person works and the other slacks.
I have to qualify the above just in case one of my teammates from the SQL class sees this. . . I had a one-time event of being on a team where everyone tried and did their best and despite their considerable workload still kept up on everything we were doing and even got ahead. That was the one and only team that I've been on that was worth anything.

Jason also used his welding lab time to see if he could make something worthwhile. While trying to complete a straight line he ended up making the a smily face. Then the next day he completed the following:

What? You can't tell what it is? Well, in case you can't see it, it is a cup. Yes, he wanted to see if he could make something water-tight. This isn't it, but he tried. He figures it will at least be a good pencil holder :)

I think that's all of our excitement for this week, sorry for the ranting about people above, it just gets me sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you wanted to make a water-tight cup? They have holes in them specifically so air gets in - that space need air man. Besides, how will you run with that thing between your legs? Personally, I like the plastic ones fine. I'm not sure this is your better mousetrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about group projects. Jason was in one last semester, and the people in his group took advantage of him too. They did not do any of the work. I finally convinced Jason to talk to the teacher. The teacher let him trade groups, and gave the other two boys worse grades. It stinks. Group projects are horrible if you have lazy people in them!

    ReplyDelete